Research Subject: Superconductor THz Science and Applications
Project Title:Developing new THz sources on thick Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+δfilms growth by Liquid Phase Epitaxy
We are looking for a M.Sc. student who will work on a research project funded by “The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) through 1001 Scientific and Technological Research Projects Funding Program”in the field of Superconductor Terahertz (THz) Science and Applications to realize a compact THz chip system, including a variety of Josephson plasma wave (JPW) devices such as emitters, high-frequency detectors, waveguides and high-band width receivers. The research program aims at growing epitaxial thick Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+δ(Bi-2212) high-Tcsuperconducting films by liquid phase epitaxy (LPE) method, optimizing LPE system through structural/stoichiometric characterizations and imaging their surface textures and internal layered structures, and developing THz devices on these films by carrying out a series of electrical measurements as well as testing their THz-radiation performances.
M.Sc. student’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited, to the followings:
- Establishing a perfect LPE system to grow high quality epitaxial films,
- Optimizing LPE system through variation of the growth conditions for high quality Bi-2212 films,
- Demonstrating the high quality of our LPE-grown films through structural/stoichiometric characterizations and imaging their surface textures and internal layered structures,
- Structural, electrical and magnetic characterizations of the epitaxial Bi-2212 films,
- Designing and manufacturing JPW devices on the Bi-2212 films,
- Designing measurement setups (hardware and software) for investigating the transport characteristics of the junctions,
- Test the performance of the THz devices on a THz chip.
CANDIDATES ARE PREFERRED TO HAVE:
- Extensive experimental experiences in thin film deposition techniques, circuit design, clean-room technologies, nano-scale and upscale device fabrications, Nanoelectronics, cryogenics, electrical and magnetic measurement techniques, and instrument programming and also a theoretical backgrounds in condensed matter physics particularly superconductivity and Josephson dynamics
- Ability to work independently or in groups
- Experience in creative problem solving and innovative solutions
- Oral and written communication skills both in Turkish and English are prerequisite
- Candidates are expected to collaborate with scientists at SUNUM, Sabancı University (SU) and Izmir Institute of technology
- Motivated applicants who have a BSc in Physics or related disciplines (Materials Science and Electronic Engineering) are welcome to apply for this position.
- The applicant will be studying his/her M.Sc. studies under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Gulnur AYGUN and co-advising of Assist. Prof. Dr. Yilmaz SIMSEK.
Qualified candidates from all nationalitiesare invited to apply with a detail curriculum vitae and a cover letter to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
with an e-mail subjecting “fellowship positions in superconductor THz Science”
NOTE:M.Sc. student will have a salary of 3000 TL per month.